Friday, April 1, 2011

Whatever happened to the dickie?

The other morning was chilly here in DC, but as the afternoon sun rose above and dried the dew, it got very warm. So warm, in fact, I wished I had not donned a turtleneck under my scrubs. It made me reminisce about a wardrobe accoutrement that would make me howl with laughter everytime I received one for Christmas. It seemed like a staple gift during my pre-teens, along with the tube of day glo knee high stockings. My mother liked accessories, boy did she like accessories. I'm not sure if she thought I was the third member of Wham! or just wanted to make sure I didn't get poached by hunters....or ever wanted me to date.

In middle school band, Mr. Kruger made us wear white dickies under our red V-neck sweaters, a navy beret completed the ensmeble.....HOT. When he said the word, "dickie," it evoked snickering from the percussion section. I remember sitting erect in my seat, thinking, "Ha....who's the cool kid now? I've got half a drawer full of dickies." After much ridicule and opting to dress unseasonably warmer than it was in VT, I traded in the dickies for the cut out collared sweatshirts of Flashdance. Now that I dress for function and have embraced my inner band geek, Mom, if you read this, I'd like a dickie for Christmas, but I'll pass on the magenta knee highs.

4 comments:

  1. Have you seen the SNL skit of "Martha Stewart" singing Christmas carols in a white dickie? Totally hot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh Mr. Kruger ! I hated that uniform!!! the best is the picture my parents got from one of our concerts. Just as he raised his arm to conduct...there it was ...just dangling there on his sleeve... THE PRICE TAG!!! LOL!!!!! glad to find your blog my friend! hope you are well! - Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, yes Jenna, I have seen it....a topless Anna Geyster, priceless. Who doesn't like a dickie?

    Angela.....hysterical. I've got some pretty funny memories of him and Sarah Crossett getting into some arguments. Glad you found me!!! Hope all is well up north.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :0) ! how do I show my name .. I feel bad poppin up as anonymous LOL!! Oh I remember those times ! LOL!! The tundra is still snowy today .. however we have some sun and a balmy 40 going on right now so we have the windows open! gotta love life in Maine! ~ Angela

    ReplyDelete